Friday, April 29, 2011

Updates and Stuff

Well I've finished Numbers 2: The Chaos by Rachel Ward and I loved it! I have to admit to not really being able to devote the time I had hoped to reading for this read-a-thon! As you may or may not know, I live in Alabama and parts of my community were hit by the massive amounts of tornadoes that happened on the 27th. My son's been out of school and I've been distracted. I've started reading Robopocalypse_A_Novel by Daniel H. Wilson, but I cannot say if I will finish it in time for it to count towards my read-a-thon goals.
I will be posting my notes for the chapters that I've read. I meant to do them on Weds but again, the tornadoes and the drama that has been taking place since have kept my attention. I think you can expect them up around the beginning of next week.


On a side note, here is some very good information about helping those that have been impacted by these storms. So far the death toll is 195 and rising everyday. So many people have had all of their belongings destroyed, their homes and cars. So many people are thankful to be alive, but now have nothing. ANYTHING will be appreciated!

(info taken from ABCnews.com)

Donate to Tornado Relief Effort

American Red Cross: The Red Cross is providing relief to people across the hardest-hit states, providing shelter, and relief to survivors.

To make a donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief, visit its online donation page.

You can also call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

The Salvation Army: The Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services is responding to the deadly tornado activity throughout the South, mobilizing feeding units and providing support to the victims.

To donate to the Salvation Army's tornado disaster response, visit www.salvationarmyusa.org, click on their donation page and designate "April 2011 Tornado Outbreak."

You can call 1-800-SAL-ARMY and donors can text "GIVE" to 80888 to make a $10 donation. Checks can be made out to the Salvation Army Disaster Relief, P.O. Box 100339, Atlanta, Ga., 30384-0339.

Feeding America: Feeding America helps food banks provide food to communities affected by the recent tornadoes.

To make a donation to Feeding America, visit its online donation page.


**Also if you live in the surrounding areas affected by the tornadoes and happen to find any personal belongings, such as photos and documents with names, please take pictures and post them online on FB via the Pictures and Documents Found After The April 27, 2011 Tornadoes page. Thanks! ****

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your family is safe. We had some damage here in Tennessee, although thankfully not in my county. My heart goes out to the people affected.

    The read-a-thon hasn't been a great success for me either. Pretty bad, since I'm the host. We are just so busy moving stuff out of our old house. Hopefully, we will be done tomorrow. And I will be SO glad!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!