Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Fighting to Survive



About: 
 Picking up where The First Days ends, Fighting to Survive features the further zombie-killing, civilization-saving adventures of a pair of sexy, kick butt heroines and the men who love them. A hundred or so survivors of the zombie plague have found tenuous safety in the walled off center of a small Texas town. Now the hard work of survival begins—finding enough food; creating safe, weather-resistant shelter; establishing laws; and fighting off both the undead who want to eat them and the living bandits who want to rob and kill them.

My Review:  
This series is so full of win it's practically bursting with fruit flavor! I cannot begin to tell you how much I LOVE these characters. Jenni and Katie are swiftly becoming my favorite female characters of all time..OF ALL TIME! They aren't delicate little daisies waiting for a man to save them, they save the men! That's awesomesauce! They are tough, but that doesn't mean they aren't feminine. They are sexy, tough, and smart!

Rhiannon Frater has created a cast of characters and a world that is compelling and terrifying. I am loving the story progression and the fact that it is so unpredictable. This fact makes it sooo worthy of attention, in a market where there are only a few writers capable of drafting a story that doesn't feel..well...done. You don't know what's going to happen. You don't know who will make it to the end. You don't know. THAT makes my zombie geek happy beyond belief!

The character and story progression in this, the second book, is quick and exciting. So much happens and there is so little time to adapt, that it creates a sense of urgency and overwhelming tension. You feel like you are a survivor along with the characters. Jenni and Katie go through some MAJOR life changes in this one! They grow and look forward, but there is also time and space to reflect on the past. This complexity really impressed me.

The side characters are starting to develop a sense of solid identities as well. Jason and Travis are getting fleshed out, although I did feel like more attention could be placed on Travis' past, but that's just nit picking. I will go on record here and now for saying that Nerit needs to be my grandma or at least that tough old lady that lives next door to me! If she dies I will cry! The bad "living" guys are so bad they could be mistaken for zombies! I felt so much disgust for Shane and really wanted to slap Blanche..omg. I rage just thinking about her!!!

Basically, read this series. I cannot recommend it enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!