Saturday, August 29, 2009

Review-After



About the Book:

An infant left in the trash to die. A teenage mother who never knew she was pregnant . . .

Before That Morning, these were the words most often used to describe straight-A student and star soccer player Devon Davenport: responsible, hardworking, mature. But all that changes when the police find Devon home sick from school as they investigate the case of an abandoned baby. Soon the connection is made—Devon has just given birth; the baby in the trash is hers. After That Morning, there’s only one way to define Devon: attempted murderer.

And yet gifted author Amy Efaw does the impossible— she turns Devon into an empathetic character, a girl who was in such deep denial that she refused to believe she was pregnant. Through airtight writing and fast-paced, gripping storytelling, Ms. Efaw takes the reader on Devon’s unforgettable journey toward clarity, acceptance, and redemption.

My Review:
I JUST finished this book and had to rush to my computer to write this review. Wow! Have you ever read a book that brought out so many emotions in you that you just couldn't put it down? Well this was it for me! I wanted to hate Devon for what she did, but I found myself feeling sorry for her. She wasn't innocent, but you sympathize with her. Her actions make sense in a way but you cannot forgiver her for them. I loved the ending. I felt it was the most honest and emotional ending this story could have had. I would have been quite upset if Amy Efaw had gone the "Hollywood" route. I cannot remember when I have openly cried while reading a book, but this one did it. There are so many emotional scenes that I cannot pinpoint the most touching one. That's it. I won't say anything else and let you read it for yourself. Something I STRONGLY recommend doing!

3 comments:

  1. Oh! I can't wait to read this one, all I read about is is high praise! I love characters that have complexity, and what you said, that you " wanted to hate Devon for what she did, but found yourself feeling sorry for her" sounds exactly like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe how emotional this book made me. It is definitely a complex story from start to finish! It's an awesome book and now officially on my top 10 list for the year so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This sounds intense, yet highly readable. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!