Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Unwind

UnwindFrom Amazon: 


In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them
Connor's parents want to be rid of him because he's a troublemaker. Risa has no parents and is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev's unwinding has been planned since his birth, as part of his family's strict religion. Brought together by chance, and kept together by desperation, these three unlikely companions make a harrowing cross-country journey, knowing their lives hang in the balance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday, they can't be harmed -- but when every piece of them, from their hands to their hearts, are wanted by a world gone mad, eighteen seems far, far away.



My Review:

Hmm..this book. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I SEE where he was going with it, but I don't think the execution was quite right. The writing itself wasn't at all bad. I do enjoy the way that Shusterman writes, but the idea that the Pro-Choice AND Pro Life moment would both agree that killing an almost grown child is OKAY is kinda where he lost me.  He kind of missed the point or maybe I missed his point entirely as I just couldn't get past that aspect of it.

I'm not going to get into my personal beliefs, and I don't want to start a debate. The two sides would NEVER agree that killing a child that's out of the womb and almost grown would be acceptable. That's just not gonna happen. So the actions of the parent's and the acceptance of society in this book is just something I couldn't grasp. I love Dystopian fiction, but it has to have some sort of foothold in reality to make it creepy for me.

The characters were very well written and the plot was interesting enough, but it's that one major flaw that I just couldn't get over, that keeps me from being a fan of his novel.

I give it a  C-- It had a good thought behind it but just didn't execute it properly.

**I purchased my own copy of this book***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!