Wednesday, September 6, 2023

I Found Puppets Living in my Apartment Walls by Ben Farthing (Book Review-Horror)




From Amazon: 

Johnny awakes. A puppet looms over his bed.

He recognizes the furry monster: Grandpa was its puppeteer on the children’s television show 
R-City Street. But Grandpa went missing a year ago. He disappeared from this very apartment building, which was converted from the old R-City Street studio.

Desperate to see Grandpa again, Johnny follows the puppet inside the building’s walls, ever deeper into a puppet-infested labyrinth...

 My Thoughts: 

Okay ladies and gentleman, I have officially become one of those people that picks up a book based solely on the cover. I mean come on!? Who wouldn't be curious? No one, that's right! So I don't feel bad about choosing it because of that cover. It's amazing! It's glorious! It's creepy as eff!

Anyway, I was not at all expecting good writing. I think I was looking forward to the equivalent of a bookish jump scare rollercoaster or something, but instead I got a creepy yet also well written psychological thriller/horror about grief and childhood nostalgia. 

(stepped away to finish the book)

Ya'll. Ya'll. This book was stupendously awesome! I will not spoilerize but that ending was (chef's kiss) just yeah. The story was like a mix between Sesame Street,  House of  Leaves, and a bit of the absurdity of John Dies at the End. 

This was a fun, quick read that I do highly recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!