Thursday, January 10, 2013

Quick Review: To Walk The Night

Blurb:
Kat Redding is the very thing she hunts: a vampire, thirsting for blood, capable of killing any creature unlucky enough to get in her path. The difference is, Kat kills her own kind in order to protect human Purebloods. She's good at what she does. Good enough to earn the nickname Lady Death - and the enmity of every bloodthirsty being around. But now a vampire, Count, is intent on merging his House with a werewolf cult to create a force of terrifying power. Kat can't allow that to happen. Even if it means taking on a den of weres and a vampire more ruthless than any she's encountered before. She has the weapons, the skill, and a few allies. But that may not be enough to eliminate the Count before her own dark nature rises to the surface - and costs her whatever is left of her humanity.

My Thoughts:

I obviously have a thing for badass vampire chicks named Cat/Kat! (see also my love of the night huntress series) Now, this one had a slow burn type of start. I didn't really start to get into it until the end, and by that time I had waded through a looooonnnggggg bit of backstory that didn't make me really wanna go further. FORTUNATELY, I did and the end was satisfying enough that I could probably justify reading the next book in the series sometime.

Kat was kind of hard to get to excited over . I DID like that she didn't get all mushy gushy with some dude, (I'm looking at you Cat!) I liked that no matter how effed she might have been, she still remained cool. She definitely was a strong character, I just didn't feel connected.  There was a lack of something that I just can't put my finger on. It bugged me throughout my time reading the book.

The world building, character development and all that groovy stuff is there. I just didn't click with it as much as I had hoped. Like I said, I'll give the second book a shot and hope it grabs me sooner..I think the slow burn had a lot to do with my "meh-ness."


1 comment:

  1. Nice review! Don't know that I'd like this one, as I'd probably have the same "meh" feelings you did. Hope your next read is better and that the MC has more oomph!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!