Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review: Easily Amused

Blurb: (from amazon) 
When twenty-nine-year-old Lola Watson unexpectedly inherits a rambling house in the suburbs, she thinks it just may be the cherry on a banner year. After all, she’s happily single, with fabulous friends and her dream job working at a popular magazine. Life is perfect—until her new neighbors make her their new “project,” a heartbroken high school friend crashes indefinitely at her house, and her younger sister announces she’s getting married…on Lola’s thirtieth birthday. Suddenly Lola’s not so keen on her newfound domestic bliss. But when she meets handsome, mysterious Ryan Moriarty, Lola dares to hope she’s found the perfect guy to one-up her sister and add a little spice back into her life.
My Thoughts:

This was a cute, quick read. When I started to read this book, I thought I'd never warm up to Lola. She seemed too egotistical and obvious to like, BUT as the story progressed and developed, so did she. She starts off pretty much only thinking about herself and her life, which makes sense, but doesn't really help you relate to her. I found myself cringing at her behavior towards her neighbors who were obviously being nice. She just wasn't having it, she wasn't at all interested in finding out anything about them. I honestly couldn't understand why they didn't just give up on her.

I loved her friends. Hubert started out as a mushy, but sweet guy. I wanted to kill his ex because she treated him so badly! I hated her and never got to "meet" her in the story!  I thought he was a bit too nice at times, but that just makes him endearing. I did think that it was completely obvious that he was in love with Lola, so her being oblivious was a bit  of an eyeroll.

Mindy was the only character I couldn't get. I understand sibling rivalry. I have a younger sister myself. I've been there. I just didn't understand where he seemingly seething hatred of Lola came from. She just was totally mean and it just came across as without motive. I also had NO clue why her fiance didn't just say "eff you" and leave her a LONG time ago? She was a total bitch to him too.

The twist with Ryan was a bit predictable, but still I didn't have a problem with it. He was obviously too good to be true, and I think that the writer didn't pretend he was anything but. We just had to wait for Lola to figure it out, and wait for the results.

All in all, I liked Easily Amused. It was a fun read, that kept me..well easily amused for a while. I liked the writing, and baring a few little issues I will say it's a solid read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!