Thursday, May 28, 2009

Review-Easy on the Eyes



Amazon Description
At 38, Tiana Tomlinson has made it. America adores her as one of the anchors of America Tonight, a top-rated nightly entertainment and news program. But even with the trappings that come with her elite lifestyle, she feels empty. Tina desperately misses her late husband Keith, who died several years before. And in a business that thrives on youth, Tina is getting the message that her age is starting to show and certain measures must be taken if she wants to remain in the spotlight. It doesn't help that at every turn she has to deal with her adversary--the devilishly handsome, plastic surgeon to the stars, Michael Sullivan. But a trip away from the Hollywood madness has consequences that could affect the rest of her life.

My Review
I have to admit I was a little skeptical about this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it! It would have been perfect if it wasn't for a couple of minor details. I really wanted to say that this book was a refreshing view on aging and attitudes towards the subject, especially with women. Tiana is a very likable character that most of us can relate. She's aging (even though she's barely 38 years old) and is being pushed out of her position because of this. In her line of work you are considered elderly at 28, unless you get some work done. Basically, people don't want to watch a woman age on TV. Her ratings are going down and her producers thinks she would be "helped" by getting a little work done. She doesn't want to do this, in fact she likes her face the way it is, but she still feels the pressure. Hollywood apparently is cut throat and if you aren't young you aren't important. Porter really knows how to write a female character that isn't too perfect but isn't boring either. Tiana is a strong female character that most women will be able to relate to and sympathize with. She has strong and loving friends that support her and give her very good advice. They steer her in a good direction and give her a shoulder to cry on when she needs it. The story is very strong and I really enjoyed myself while reading it. I honestly didn't want to put it down, as cliched as that sounds!
Now on to the negative....
Near the middle of the book, Tiana meets someone special. I won't ruin it but he is someone that is highly involved in philanthropy and helping children in Africa. This is a life changing occasion in Tiana's life and it's a very emotional part of the book. Sometimes though, Porter sounds as if she is really writing an after school special, or a commercial about donating money to orphans. Her intentions are honorable, but the way she states them interrupts the flow of the story.
For me this was a decent book. I liked it and really do recommend it. It has its flaws but I believe the book in whole is worthy of a read. I give it a 4/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful review and now another book I shall have to watch for to read. I just came over from BOOKIN' WITH BINGO to thank you for posting my giveaway and found your delightful blog! I hope it is OK to add you to my blog roll as I see we have a lot of the same blog friends, and I am now one of your followers. Come by often and enter as I always have something to win, and THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!