Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: Wishbone

Blurb:

Julien Grenier witnessed the brutal murder of his grandfather. Now, at forty-five, he continues to be plagued by horrific nightmares and reenactments of that tragic event. Living a successful though austere lifestyle on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Julien has recreated himself, building emotional walls that even his young wife cannot penetrate. Though somewhat moody, Julien is a good man with a heart of gold, and a great sense of loyalty and responsibility; enabling his wife, Rachael, to turn a blind eye to his tightly-kept secrets. Rachael is thirty-two years old; an art dealer and playful free spirit, but after a home invasion assault leaves her emotionally unstable and destroys their care-free and content world, they relocate to a safer environment with the hope of a fresh start. Kings Hollow is a quaint town, nestled in the serene Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. At first, their new home appears to be the miracle they prayed for, until a traditional children's game begins to destroy their bliss; Rachael is no longer herself and Julien is experiencing a string of bad luck and unfortunate accidents. At the center of it all is seventeen-year-old Sarah, a part-time caretaker on the property. Can Julien and Rachael escape the nightmare of Kings Hollow...or is this just Wishful thinking?

My Thoughts:
This was a wonderful surprise. I honestly wasn't sure if I would like it. It sounded good, but I have been fooled before! I'm grateful that I didn't have to shake my fist at my computer screen this time! The plot is fast paced and haunting. It had everything a girl like me could want in a book. Great writing, nail biting plot, great characters, and a delicious cohesive storyline that I just gobbled up.

Julien is a character that has had a lot happen in his life. He's witnessed the murder of someone close to him. He's built his life back up, but is still effected by that fateful night. Thanks to Hudson's great writing skills, he doesn't come across as a cliched tragic figure. He's interesting to read, and believable. I think those two qualities are occasionally lacking in books now-a-days. You're supposed to enjoy the characters, just cuz.

So let's see. Great story-CHECK, good writing-CHECK, excellent characters-CHECK..Do I recommend this? Yes!

 **I was given a digital copy of this book for an honest review. all opinions are mine and mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!