Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review: The Truth About Alice


~ Everyone has a lot to say about Alice Franklin, and it’s stopped mattering whether it’s true. The rumors started at a party when Alice supposedly had sex with two guys in one night. When school starts everyone almost forgets about Alice until one of those guys, super-popular Brandon, dies in a car wreck that was allegedly all Alice’s fault. Now the only friend she has is a boy who may be the only other person who knows the truth, but is too afraid to admit it. Told from the perspectives of popular girl Elaine, football star Josh, former outcast Kelsie, and shy genius Kurt, we see how everyone has a motive to bring – and keep – Alice down.~

My Thoughts:
I really liked this one. I could not believe how quickly everyone jumped to conclusions based on such little evidence...then I remembered what high school was like. The characters in this book were really brutal. The only other person besides Alice that I liked was Kurt, and even he had me raging a time or two. 

I won't give away too much, but I will say that this book really shows how rumors and lies can nearly destroy a life. The Truth About Alice may not have the most original plot ever, but the delivery makes it fresh and gripping. 
 
There's about 5 (I think) characters that tell the story of what happened and why Alice is such a huge slut. Everyone knows what she did, so everyone knows how she is. Each character gives their impressions of Alice and as the story progresses you see just how mean kids can be. The switching characters made this book so much more interesting, and really shows Mathieu's talent. 

It made me sad, it made me want to cry, and it made me glad that I am old enough to realize that people aren't always what they seem. This is a great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!