Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: Speaker for the Dead


Blurb:
In the aftermath of his terrible war, Ender Wiggin disappeared, and a powerful voice arose: The Speaker for the Dead, who told the true story of the Bugger War.

Now, long years later, a second alien race has been discovered, but again the aliens' ways are strange and frightening...again, humans die. And it is only the Speaker for the Dead, who is also Ender Wiggin the Xenocide, who has the courage to confront the mystery...and the truth.
My Thoughts: 

I really liked Ender's Game, so I snatched the sequel up when it showed up on my library's shelf. I really was curious where Ender would go after the events of the first novel. Speaker for the Dead takes place roughly 3,000 years after the first book (time travel..wtf?) 3k years but Ender hasn't aged past middle age. He is now what is known as a Speaker for the Dead, a person that learns and uncovers the secrets of the deceased and gives a sort of sermon about their lives. (Not the best definition but will do for now)


SFTD, is a hard book to describe. It's good but will not be for everyone. There's a lot of unique words made for these books. It took me a little bit to understand a few of them. I was kind of left to create a mental image in my own mind of the Piggies. They were never really described well enough for me. I didn't understand the politics behind the colony and why they were there but not allowed to do some of the most obvious things. *shrug* 


HOWEVER, I enjoyed reading a grown up Ender. One that is both lonely and happy to spend eternity by himself. A man that is vastly intelligent  but still knows he has more to learn. I think that Ender is definitely one of the most interesting characters I've ever read!


SFTD, was slower paced than Ender's Game. It had a lot more to do with politics and science than EG did, but I still found myself engrossed in it. I found it a good solid read, and a great second part of the series!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!